Daniel, playing with purple gnomes by our makeshift purple centerpiece
Kara over at Rockin’ Granola did an awesome job explaining the colors of the day and how she implements them in her home. She does a far better job with this than I ever could. Truth be told, this is one of those Waldorf traditions that I would like to keep but just somehow don’t find the time for.
Some ideas I do try include
- Smoothies in the color of the day. I totally ripped this off from Kara, I admit. Our current favorite purple smoothie? Blueberries and strawberries and some Greek yogurt, a banana and a splash of honey. Yummy.
- Fruit in the color of the day. Grapes—yummy!
- When I remember, I like to use a playsilk in the color of the day on the lazy susan with a candle. When each child comes for their main lesson, we make a big deal of lighting the candle.
Some ideas I would like to try (and maybe will for next month):
- Having a candle in each color and using that specifically to signal the day.
- Having a tablecloth or maybe napkins in each color. Although I’ve actually thought of doing this with liturgical colors as well and I can’t decided which I would prefer.
- Having at least one purple-themed toy—maybe some purple fairies and a playsilk or some books that center around a purple theme (NOT Barney!).
- Extend the idea of the purple centerpiece. Maybe have some sort of flower or other knick knack. Perhaps a beautiful amethyst? Also I would like to have some smaller silks or cloths just for the centerpiece.
Traditionally, purple is a color of royalty and piety. Closer to red than blue, purple stands for creativity, wisdom, spirituality, and magic. What an auspicious way to begin your week! It’s a soothing color, bringing both mental and emotional calm, and is connected to the spirit. I love that it’s the color to introduce a new school week. So much possibility!
And of course, there’s our favorite purple poem:
I never saw a purple cow.
I never hope to see one.
But I can tell you anyhow
I’d rather see than be one!
How do you use purple to signal Monday?